Is your newborn sleeping too much? It is normal and highly recommended that children sleep too much. The fact of resting long enough and having
Nature is perfect and in newborns, it manifests itself in an obvious way. During his first months of life, the little one instinctively follows the needs of his body. Therefore, the reasons that make the baby sleep a lot have to do with his growth and development.
A newborn child sleeps between 16 and 18 hours a day, at intervals of two to three hours. He usually wakes up from hunger or because he needs a diaper change. As he grows, his intervals increase and sleep hours are spaced.
Although the rhythms of sleep are different in each child, it is important to install a routine from childhood. Some babies may spend more hours sleeping because their stomach holds more milk. In addition, smaller, lower weight children will need to eat more often.
How Much Should Children Sleep?
Some studies guarantee that as we grow the number of hours in bed should decrease:
- Babies from 0 to 2 months should have 16 to 18 hours of sleep
- 3 to 6 months from 14 to 17 hours
- 6 to 12 months from 13 to 15 hours
- 12 to 18 months around 13 hours
- 1,5 to 2 years old around 13 hours
- 2 to 3 years old from 10 to 12 hours
- 3 to 5 years old from 10 to 12 hours
- 6 to 10 years old from 9 to 11 hours
Benefits Of Sleeping Too Much For Babies
It is highly recommended that the baby sleep too much because it benefits him physically. To the extent that a baby sleeps a lot, his neurons, organs and immune system will be strengthened.
Next, we will see other benefits that the baby gets when sleeping too much:
- The dream feeds. When the baby sleeps too much, it causes him/her to gain weight quickly. In addition, restful sleep helps stimulate the appetite of children.
- Strengthen knowledge. While they sleep, babies review in their minds what they learned during the day: colors, shapes, textures, faces, sounds, etc. This learning encourages them to continue acquiring knowledge and explore more of their surroundings.
- The more sleep, the more height. The growth is related to the hours of sleep because during the rest said hormone is activated. Therefore, and especially in his/her development stage, it is important to respect the baby’s sleep.
As children grow older, it is advisable to include them in a sleep routine; This will create a healthy and natural habit to go to bed. This routine consists of eating, taking a bath and always going to bed at the same time.